About The "New" Phillips Memorial CME Church
The History or Phillips Memorial CME Church
The Lucy Phillips Memorial Colored Methodist Episcopal Church was organized under the direction of the late Z.Z. Johnson, his wife assisted by Mrs. Avant, Lillian Wiggins, Mrs Dwellington and Mrs. Tommie Lewis. Its first location was south 7th Street and Jefferson. The membership grew and in February 1946 ground breaking services for our present edifice was held; completed in 1947 at a cost of 20,000. In 1962 the name of the church was officially changed to Phillips Memorial Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
We have hosted several District and Annual Conferences, Leadership Training Schools, Laymen and Missionary Workshops. We have had eight Bishops, 7 Presiding Elders and many inspiring Pastors. Trials and storms have sought and found us, but we were not defeated. We have been strengthened and made able to endure.
The loyal members of Phillips Memorial shall continue to adhere to the Gospel of Christ and attend to the growth of the church. We are thankful and ever so grateful God has remained with us these 103 years